90,000 applicants of the Nation Builders Corps (NABCO) programme have obtained their placements in all seven modules of the programme across the country.
The modules are Educate Ghana, Heal Ghana, Feed Ghana and Revenue Ghana. The rest are Digitise Ghana, Civic Ghana and Enterprise Ghana.
With the placement of the applicants completed, President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is expected to outdoor them on October 17, 2018.
About 100, 000 graduates enrolled on the programme.
A report by the new statesman in an interview with The chief executive officer of NABCO, Ibrahim Anyars, explained that the remaining 10,000 applicants are expected to finalise their documentation and subsequent acceptance of their placements by Friday, October 5, 2018.
According to the NABCO CEO, they had to put some of the applicants on the pending list because the secretariat had to device some measures of professional verification for applicants of the Heal Ghana and Feed Ghana modules. These modules entail providing healthcare delivery to deprived and rural communities across Ghana and providing extensive support to farmers across Ghana, respectively.
However, Dr Anyars clarified that all the needed checks and verifications had been completed with applicants being successfully posted to their various institutions awaiting the presidential commissioning.
Boost for productivity
The successfully selected 100,000 recruits who will be rolled out in the various modules under the policy are expected to exit the programme after 3 years.
Dr Anyars noted that the policy would help boost productivity in the various sectors and also add value to the skill and knowledge of the trainees. This will help them to be self-reliant in their quest to be entrepreneurs.
Launch by president
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on May 1 launched NABCO as part of government’s initiative to provide jobs for the country’s unemployed graduates.
The seven modules under the programme were also carefully selected and designed to help address the challenges facing the nation’s most pressing sectors.
The President at the launch noted that youth unemployment had become a part of the lives of Ghanaians for far too long and has worsened in recent times, by the ban placed on public sector employment by the International Monetary Fund.
“That is why in the 2018 budget statement, I gave an indication that a new employment scheme will be launched to tackle the issue of the growing numbers of graduates exiting our tertiary institutions with no job placements in sight,” he said.
NABCO’s central focus, the President said, is to create employment avenues and opportunities for young people who hold diplomas or degrees from accredited tertiary institutions.
President Akufo-Addo was confident that by the time NABCO trainees exited the scheme, the requisite work readiness skills and experience, often deemed as a barrier to their employment as fresh graduates, would have been resolved.