- 4 Cups long grain rice or local rice
- Whole chicken or drumsticks/ beef/fish
- 6 pieces carrots,
- 1 cup green beans
- cup runner peas,
- 2 green bell peppers
- 150 ml vegetable or groundnut oil
- 1 Canned or fresh tomatoes
- 1 table spoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish (optional)
- 3-4 Seasoning cubes
- 1 sachet Jollof rice mixed spice
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 big onion
- Salt to taste
How to prepare vegetable jollof rice
- Whatever kind of meat you are using, season with onions, garlic, seasoning cubes, pepper and salt, cook until soft
- Separate the meat from the broth and keep aside.
- Parboil white rice for 10 minutes, drain the water (wash) and keep aside.
- If you are using fresh tomatoes, dice them now with onion, or if you are using canned tomato paste empty it from the can and add a little water to dissolve it and then keep aside.
- Put a dry pot on heat and heat up the vegetable oil; start to fry the meat or fish. When the meat is done frying, keep aside
- In the same pot you have just fried meat with, drop some chopped onions and fry with either the blendedor fried tomato. Stir from time to time until it is properly fried and the raw taste of the tomato has vanished.
- Season the tomato with 1 chicken stock cube, thyme, curry, nutmeg salt and pepper, and if you are going to use crayfish add at it to the content at this time too and allow the content to simmer on a low heat.
- Add the meat broth and add more chicken stock cubes and increase the water if your meat broth is not going to be enough to cook the rice until soft. Cover the pot and wait for the content to bubble before adding your parboiled rice.
- Add the parboiled rice to the content when it has boiled, stir and taste for salt and leave it to cook on medium heat till the water dries. (Note:the meat stock may not be enough; more water should be added such that the water is slightly above the rice.
- Tastes to check if the rice is completely soften, but if not drizzle a little water round the pot but don’t stir it.
- You dont have to add your vegetables yet, until the water in the rice is almost dried before you add them.
- Finally add the chopped peas, green beans, green bell peppers and carrots and cover the pot for 5 minutes (note: the vegetable should be added last when water is almost dried to avoid overcooked or brown vegetables.
- Stir the vegetables into the jollof rice with a wooden turner round the pot to allow the vegetables to spread evenly.
- Put off heat and serve your jollof rice with fried chicken or fish and also with chilled salad.
Source: Pulse Ghana