People don’t often think about how the food they’re eating may be affecting their sex drive, but there are foods that can make your libido plummet.
1. Soy: This one is particularly applicable to men. A study down at Harvard University showed a direct link between how much soy a man consumes and how much testosterone he has. The more soy he ate, the less testosterone he produced! Testosterone is a vital hormone linked to sex drive.
2. Mint: Mint produces menthol, which has a cooling effect on the body. However, it can also have a cooling effect on your sex drive! Chewing ginger will do the opposite, so next time you want to freshen your breath, try ginger to heat things up.
3. Microwaveable popcorn: For this one, it’s not actually the food that causes the decreased libido, but the packaging. The chemicals on the non-stick lining of microwave popcorn bags contain perfluoroalkyl acids, which can kill sexual desire. Instead, try using a popcorn maker.
4. Fried foods: Although tasty, these foods are very high in trans-fats, which can kill sexual desire. They’ve actually been shown to lower testosterone in men, which greatly decreases libido. A better alternative would be a baked potato, which increases dopamine and sexual desire.
5. Alcohol: Regular drinking actually leads to a chemical reaction in the nervous system, which can decrease sensitivity. While it may increase confidence, it could lower sensitivity in the bedroom.
6. Coffee: The caffeine in coffee has the potential to be a serious stressor on the body. Hormonal imbalances can affect a person’s sex drive drastically. Coffee may help you in the morning, but not at night!
Eating a healthy diet is a part of functioning well, and that applies to sexual functioning too. Make sure you are giving your body what it needs to keep you healthy, active and sexually fulfilled.